The Master’s Gavel, as we know it, helps govern the craft and maintains order in the Lodge. The Lodge of Antiquity #11 is honored with a Master’s Gavel that has a significant history.
Gutzon Borglum, the famous American sculptor who planned and began the
We at The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11, take great pride being the custodians of such a monumental artifact of masonic memorabilia.
The Masters of the Lodge take great pride in using his Gavel at all masonic degrees and on special occasions, such as A District Deputy visitation and all award presentations.
Gutzon Borglum was a Mason and a member of Howard Lodge #35 of The First Manhattan District in New York City. He was raised on June 10, 1904.
Howard Lodge merged with Prince of Orange Lodge, then in April 1983, Howard and Prince of Orange merged with The Lodge of Antiquity #11. They brought with them a Gavel which was sculptured by Gutzon Borglum.
The Gavel as you see it above is that of a Lions Paw in bronze, clutching a stone. The stone is said to have come from the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem.
The Holy Bible that George Washington took his oath of office on belongs to St. johns Lodge No. 1, and is always accompanied by two members of that lodge when the Bible travels.
So too, do we require two members of our lodge travel with “The Master’s Gavel … Lion’s Paw” on all requests for an informational visit to any Lodge.
We at The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11 thank you for your interest in our pride and joy …
The “Lion’s Paw” Gavel.
At our annual public installations and at the annual open house of The Antiquity Masonic historical society, the gavel is given a prominent place and a short history is given to those in attendance on the historical significance of this priceless sculpture.
well-known Mt. Rushmore Memorial in South Dakota, passed on to The Great Architect of the Universe before completing it. His son finished the massive memorial after his father’s death.
In 1858, the disaffection between the two Grand Lodges was resolved and both bodies united to form the present Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of New York but because the St. John’s group which first returned to the parent Grand Lodge were in possession of the 1789 Charter, they were permitted to continue as St. John’s Lodge No. 1. While the other group was issued a new charter under the name “The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11.”
Up until September 14, 1967, both of these Lodges met in the same Temple at 71 West 23rd St in New York City, the current location of the Grand Lodge of New York. On that day, with the approval of Grand Master Frank C. Staples, The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11, of the First Manhattan District, moved its meeting place from the Masonic Hall on West 23rd St, New York City to the cellar of the Brentwood Presbyterian Church at 1900 Brentwood Road on Long Island in Suffolk.
During the summer of 1967 the members of the Lodge pooled their energies and talents to completely renovate this cellar to make it suitable for a meeting place, and at the same time providing the church with a pleasant area for Sunday school classes and social functions.
During the fall of 1973 the Brentwood United Presbyterian Church put their church, which was built in the late 1800’s up for sale as additional funds were needed to complete a larger facility that the church had under construction for some time.
The Lodge approached the church trustees and after due negotiation the Lodge purchased the building in late February 1973 and held a dedication ceremony a month later overseen by Grand Master Lloyd S. Cochran.
Since the move to Brentwood, Ocean Lodge No. 156, Howard and Prince of Orange Lodge No. 16, Concord Lodge No. 50, Montgomery Lodge No. 68, and Bay Shore Lodge No. 1043 have consolidated with The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11. The consolidation of these ancient and honorable Lodges with The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11 has been conspicuously marked with Harmony and Brotherly Love.
Today The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11 is an active and growing organization, improving its Brethren through Masonry and is a viable and beneficial part of the community.
The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11
1900 Brentwood Rd.
Brentwood NY 11717
Meetings: 8:00 P.M. on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, except July and August.
Directions: LIE to exit 54. Continue on the service road to Washington Avenue. Tum onto Washington Avenue heading south. Proceed on Washington Ave. 1 and 1/2 miles. Cross over Suffolk Avenue on to Brentwood Road. The Lodge is 1 block down (next to People's United Bank).
The Lodge of Antiquity No. 11 traces its heritage to St .John’s Lodge No. 1, the oldest Lodge in the State of New York. In 1789, the Grand Lodge decided to renumber the Lodges in New York, whereon, St. John’s Lodge surrendered its 1757 warrant, bearing the number 2 and received its present warrant dated June 9th, 1789 and the number 1.
Between the years of 1849 and 1858 Freemasonry in New York suffered from much confusion due to several Grand Lodges all operating during this period. The most prominent being the parent Grand Lodge under Grand Master Willard, and the disaffected body under Grand Master Phillips.
Not Just a Man.....